Thursday, July 15, 2010

July 14, 2010


July 14, 2010


Well, we decided to leave Dawson City and head back the way we came. Thought we could wait it out and the bridge flooding wouldn’t last too long, however, they told us it was undetermined as to how long it could be closed, and it was still raining. So we packed up and headed back down to Whitehorse to take the other route to Alaska. It’s raining today so it’s pretty gloomy and I should mention that someone in the car isn’t really talking much!!!!Oh well we’ll just let him be, however there aren’t many radio stations up here, I offered to sing, but I just got a glare, to be taken as no! The only radio stations we’ve been able to get are talk shows about sex! Guess they get bored up here?

On the upside we came across a young black bear standing in the middle of the road. Very cute. We are hoping to see a moose or and elk today. The closer we get to Whitehorse it seems to be clearing up, hopefully tomorrow we could be in Alaska!!! I can’t believe we have been on the road for 9 days, time has really gone fast! I have to say this has been an awesome experience for our family. Have had some great times creating memories!!

Made it back to Whitehorse at about 6:30p.m., did a little grocery stock up, gassed up, and decided to go a little further to Haines Junction, about 90 minutes away. Even though it rained most of the way to Whitehorse, the sun finally came out, but was raining again by the time we got to Haines Jct. There was only a few campgrounds there, and Paul was wanting to just pull over at some little stream or turn off along the way and just rough it. Obviously the girls and I out numbered him. We told him we would stay at a hotel and he could go camp somewhere like that. I don’t know, I think I watch too much lifetime t.v. but things could happen. I’m sure I’ve seen that movie once. There was a story on our way up of an elderly couple that was missing and they had found their camper burned and no sign of them? Paul said I should be more afraid of bear that that happening. Now I’ve got something else to think about!!! We did find a campground, the very last spot!! Arrived at 10:00 p.m. in the rain. Had to turn the furnace on when we arrived, just 50 degrees or so.

Hopefully we will make it to Fairbanks tomorrow. I was thinking maybe we should visit the North Pole on the way. A little town south of Fairbanks, Christmas is everywhere there, It might be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment