Thursday, July 15, 2010

July 15, 2010



July 15, 2010


Set out of Haines Junction at around 9:30 am. That of course was a little later that Paul wanted it to be, but 3 girls getting ready takes time, (u’d think he’d be catching on to that?) This is our last leg of our Canada journey, should be crossing the border today.

I just have to mention, this by far has to be the best way to get to Alaska. This trip has been the most beautiful and adventurous journey I have ever experienced. I feel truly blessed that I am lucky enough to be here right now! At this point I can’t

imagine Alaska being more beautiful than the Canada segment has been, we’ll see!!

We started out today following along the Kluane River. This was a breathtaking view all along the way. The mountains up ahead of us were covered in snow and the clouds hung beautifully around them. The road was very twisty and bumpy. This was by far the worst road conditions on the highway soo far. Then we got behind a caravan of motorhomes that were traveling together, about 15 or more and because of the road conditions we really couldn’t go over 40mph, very slow going and bumpy. We were warned that it would be bad, and it was, Thank god it was dry and not raining for that portion. Only been about 40-50 degrees today. We drove about 8 hours again today, but we did cross the border!!!Yeah we are in Alaska. Somehow I thought it would feel different than it did, it still looks beautiful, just like Canada. Got through customs without any trouble. That was the nicest custom man we’ve ever encountered, was actually friendly and had a conversation with us.

We were hoping to make it to the North Pole tonight, which is just 15 miles from Fairbanks, but we couldn’t hold out, I will admit it was probably me as much as the girls being ready to get out of the car!! I think we are all ready to get out and see something other than trees or mountains! Found a great little campground in Delta Junction called Green Acres, thought that might make Paul feel at home. Just picture Paul as Oliver and me as Lisa!!! And when we began to park the camper tonite that was probably who we were acting like. He needed me to place the board under the tires to level it, (something I have done a 100 times), but tonite he decided to use his farming signals, those would be the ones that only he and his dad understand. Well I thought I understood, however I ended up being quite wrong! I got the stern look of “What were you thinking?” A neighbor camper and his wife found it humorous! I didn’t. Like I said it was time to stop and call it quits for the day.

We did see a big moose today running alongside the highway. That was all the wildlife we saw today, oh maybe a bald eagle though!!

No comments:

Post a Comment