Thursday, July 22, 2010

July 21, 2010




July 21, 2010


OMG thought I wouldn’t have anything to write about today. We were mostly in the car on our way to Anchorage, pretty uneventful and of course rainy most of the way! Found a campground downtown right on Ship Creek. Right next to a railroad track and fairly close to the airport! But for being in a city it was good. First thing we did was find a mall so the I could finally get my nails done, very long over due! After that we found an ice skating rink in the mall so we made the girls try it. They had a blast. Neither one had done it before, but they were quite good and caught on pretty quick! Neither Paul or I dared to try, I figure I am taller and have a farther distance to fall and being older I probably have brittle bones!!!

After the ice skating adventure we decided to drive up to Flat Top. This is a mountain in the Chugach mountains that looks like someone sliced the top off and is flat on top. There is a look out that you can climb and then there is a trail you can hike to the top. Well, since it was 8pm my thoughts were to either come back the next morning and do it or maybe just do the little look out climb, but no.....Abby really wanted to to touch a cloud!! So Paul thought that would be fun. So yet another adventure was begun. We climbed and climbed and climbed, always seeing our destination but not reaching it! The higher we went to touch the cloud the more the trail became more and more rough, soon we were basically rock climbing! Mind you none of us were really dressed for hiking, Abby had crocs on and Mallory was in shorts with no jacket and it was considerably colder, there was snow on part of this mountain. Anyway, we finally reached the top and we not only touched the cloud, we were in it! But now the fun was to scale down the mountain...Yikes none of us were nearly as excited as when our journey began and now it was raining and did I mention there was no one on top with us!!!! We weren’t even sure where the trail was, if there was one! At this point Mallory was on the verge of tears, and so was I, once again I’m sure I’ve seen a Lifetime movie like this where the people never found there way out!! I mentioned to Paul that this possibly could be construed to authorities as a form of child endangerment! Well, finally we made it down, soaked and cold and sore! Probably not half as sore as I will be in the morning! I think it took us about 3 hours! When I got back I read up on this mountain Flat Top and the book says that this is it is an easy mountain to climb???? I think we must have hiked a different one!! Anyway it was a great adventure, now that it is over. Needless to say we all slept very well!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you are having fun!! We are having fun in Minnesota too!! It has been great. Love to read about what you guys are doing.

    ReplyDelete